Cressing War Memorial Renovation Project

Temple at War Military and Vintage Show are thrilled to announce that they will be supporting the 2018 Cressing War Memorial Renovation Project.

This year’s show will help raise funds to provide cleaning and restoration services for the Celtic Cross which lies in St Andrews Churchyard which lies just a few miles from the Temple at War Show site.

The renovation is much needed for the 11 November 2018 Armistice Service to Commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

Dedicated and unveiled on 8 May 1921 by Col. Sir Evelyn Wood D.S.O eldest son of the late Field Marshall Sir Evelyn Wood VC. The memorial bears the names of 19 Cressing men who fell in war.

Carved and installed by Mr J B Slythe of Witham and Chelmsford, it is anticipated that on the 11th day of the 11th Month 2018 that the Cressing War Memorial will be refurbished as an important local landmark for generations to visit.

The Rev. G.H. Bishop, vicar, was the Chairman and secretary of the Committee which carried out the initial project in 1921.  Col. and Mrs Wood lunched with Mr Frank Cullen at Cressing Temple before the service, and on arrival at the churchyard the Colonel was received by a guard of honour of ex service men, under Sergt, James Moss.  The service opened with the hymn “O God, our help,” the surpliced choir, under Mr. Hitching, being in attendance.

We will be launching a donation option on the Temple at War webpage which will be available for anyone who wishes to make a kind contribution which will support the local Essex community.

Temple at War are thrilled to announce that they will be supporting the 2018 Cressing War Memorial Renovation Project.

This year’s show will help raise funds to provide cleaning and restoration services for the Celtic Cross which lies in St Andrews Churchyard which lies just a few miles from the Temple at War Show site.

The renovation is much needed for the 11 November 2018 Armistice Service to Commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

Dedicated and unveiled on 8 May 1921 by Col. Sir Evelyn Wood D.S.O eldest son of the late Field Marshall Sir Evelyn Wood VC. The memorial bears the names of 19 Cressing men who fell in war.

Carved and installed by Mr J B Slythe of Witham and Chelmsford, it is anticipated that the Company will once again return to Cressing to renovate this important local landmark.

The Rev. G.H. Bishop, vicar, was the Chairman and secretary of the Committee which carried out the initial project in 1921.  Col. and Mrs Wood lunched with Mr Frank Cullen at Cressing Temple before the service, and on arrival at the churchyard the Colonel was received by a guard of honour of ex-service men, under Sergt, James Moss.  The service opened with the hymn “O God, our help,” the surpliced choir, under Mr. Hitching, being in attendance.

We will be launching a donation option on the Temple at War webpage which will be available for anyone who wishes to make a kind contribution which will support the local Essex community.

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF THE CRESSING PARISH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM AND RIGHT
GREAT LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS

Temple at War also support – Help for Heroes, Support our Paras, The Royal British Legion and The Braintree and Witham Army Cadets.